Sweden Visa Process

Student Visa Overview

Outside European Union:

If you come from a country outside the EU and you are planning to study for longer than three months, you require a residence permit.

Inside European Union:

As an EU citizen, you are entitled to study in Sweden without a residence permit. If you plan to stay longer than three months, you must register your right of residence with the Migration Board.

When entering Sweden, you need a valid passport or ID card showing your citizenship. You have the right to work during the time that you are studying.

Registering after you have entered Sweden

As an EU citizen, you can move to Sweden without applying for any kind of permit. If you are planning to stay for more than three months, you must register your right of residence. You cannot register before coming to Sweden.

Application Process

You can submit an application online. When you submit an online application you receive instructions on how to fill in your application and which documents you must send. Make sure to apply in good time before your studies begin. Most people will receive a response to their application within 3 months. Note that you cannot apply online before you have paid the partial fee of the tuition fee.

For Online Application (http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/891_en.html)

If you are unable or unwilling to apply online, fill in the form Application for residence permits for students and hand it in to a Swedish embassy or consulate general in the country you live. Contact the embassy or consulate general before you hand in your application. If the studies in Sweden form a part of an educational program you started for example in another EU country, you can also submit your application in the country you studied.

Consulates and Embassy (http://www.swedenabroad.com/)

You will probably be required to pay an application fee.

Check (http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/812_en.html)

If you obtain a permit, you will also receive a residence permit card. The card, which is proof that you have the right to be in Sweden, contains your photo and fingerprints. In order for the Swedish Migration Board to issue a residence permit card, you must be photographed and fingerprinted when you submit your application or at a later time, for example, when you have received a residence permit.

Residence Permit (http://www.migrationsverket.se/info/5056_en.html)