Canada Visa Process

Applying for Visa

There are two ways to apply for visa

  • Online
  • Paper based

Online Applications :

You can apply online for study permit from inside as well as outside Canada

Steps :

The application is for students who wish to study in Canada and are applying from inside Canada.

Step 1 – Assess your eligibility

  • Determine if you may be eligible by reviewing the eligibility criteria.

Step 2 – Get your supporting documents

  • Ensure you have the documents that you need before applying online.

Documents needed :

You need to have the following documents in electronic format to submit with your Online Application:

For electronic format check (

Required documents:

  • Your valid passport or travel document that guarantees re-entry to the country that issued it. (Include copies of the pages with your photo, name, date of birth, citizenship, passport number, issue and expiry date, and all entries made by Canadian authorities, including your Temporary Resident Visa if you have one.)
  • Completed fees receipt [IMM5401] OR a credit card for online payment.
  • For fees check (

  • Letter from your educational institution (school) including the name of the educational institution (school), the duration of your studies, the level of your studies and/or your program of study, unless you are under the age of majority.
  • Proof of means of financial support that demonstrate that you can support yourself and any accompanying family members while you study in Canada. For example, proof of a Canadian bank account in your name, your bank statements for the past four months, a bank draft in convertible currency, or proof of payment of tuition and residence fees.

In certain situations, you will need:

  • A completed Use of Representative Form [IMM5476] (PDF, 55 KB) if you are appointing a representative (for example, an immigration consultant, lawyer, friend, family member, etc.) who will conduct business with CIC on your behalf.
  • A completed Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual Form [IMM5475] (PDF, 38 KB) if you are granting authorization for CIC to share information about your application with someone else.
  • check (

  • Statutory declaration of common law union [IMM5409] (PDF, 97 KB). If you are also applying for a service for your common law partner.
  • check (

  • Your Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (issued by the Ministère de l'Immigration et des Communautés culturelles) if you are living in the province of Québec. See Quebec foreign students for information.
  • check (

  • Marriage certificate if you are also applying for a service for your spouse.

Step 3 – Register or log in

To apply online, you will need to:

  • Register or log in using GCKey or Sign In Partner (SecureKey Concierge); and
  • Register or log into MyCICYou need a MyCIC account only if you are submitting an online application. If you have submitted your application on paper and you wish to check your status, you do not need a MyCIC account.


You need a MyCIC account only if you are submitting an online application. CIC requires the use of an electronic credential to use your MyCIC account: GCKey or Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge).

Important notice for Access Key users: You can no longer log in using your Access Key. If you currently use Access Key to log in to your MyCIC account, you will need to re-enrol in order to access CIC programs or services. Select either the Sign-In Partner Log In or GCKey Log In option and follow the steps.

New users are users that do not have an Access Key, GCKey or Sign-In Partner account. If you are a new user, you will need to enrol online in order to access CIC programs or services. Begin by selecting either the Sign-In Partner Log In or GCKey Log In and follow the steps. Once your enrolment is completed, you will be able to use your Username and Password to access CIC programs or services.

Step 1 – Register or log in using GCKey or Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge)

The Government of Canada is now offering a choice of service providers that you can use when logging in to government online programs or services.

To access your MyCIC account you need to log in using one of two ways:

  • Log in with a Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge) – this option allows you to log in with a User ID and password that you may already have, such as for online banking.
  • Tell me more about logging in with a Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge)

    Note: When choosing this option, you will be temporarily leaving the Citizenship and Immigration website. For additional information, please see .


  • Log in with GCKey – this option allows you to log in using a Government of Canada User ID and password.
  • Whether you choose to use Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge) or GCKey, no personal information held by your financial institution will be provided to CIC during your login process. Similarly, CIC will not share with your financial institution any personal information about the government services you access.

    For additional information about security and privacy, or for other general queries about credential services, please refer to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

    To log in with a Sign-In Partner, select the Sign-In Partner Log In button below.

    To log in or register with GCKey, select the GCKey button below.


    Sign-In Partner Log In , GCKey Log In

Step 2 – Register or log into MyCIC

Once you have logged in using GCKey or Sign-In Partner (SecureKey Concierge), you will need to register or log into MyCIC to apply online. Instructions will be given to you once you have logged in using GCKey or Sign-In Partner.

See (

Paper based :

To apply using paper forms, three steps must be followed:

1. Get the application package

The package includes the application guide and all the forms you need to fill out. Download and print the application package.

Check (

Depending on your citizenship or where you live, you may need a temporary resident visa as well as a study permit. See the list of designated countries. If you are from one of the designated countries, a visa officer will process your application for a temporary resident visa at the same time. You do not need a separate application.

To apply for a study permit, visit this link to find a list of the documents you will need. Make sure you include these with your application.

Check (

If you want to study in the province of Quebec, check the provincial guidelines. To apply, you need a certificate of acceptance or a Certificat d'acceptation du Québec (CAQ). Your school can also provide you with information. You must have received the certificate of acceptance before applying for a study permit.

Check (

Fill in the forms carefully and completely.

  • Type or print clearly, using black ink.
  • Add appropriate characters for languages that do not use the Latin alphabet, such as Chinese, Arabic, Cyrillic, Japanese, Hebrew, etc.
  • Answer all questions carefully, completely and truthfully. Incomplete application packages will not be processed. They will be returned to you.

2. Pay your application fees

There is a fee to apply for a study permit. For information about current rates, go to Pay my application fees. In many countries, the processing fee can be paid in the local currency. You should check the website of the Canadian visa office serving the country or region where you live for additional information on fees, including how to pay them. The processing fee will not be refunded, even if your application is not accept

See (

3. Submit your application

Make sure your application is complete and include the necessary documents. Use the document checklist provided in the application kit. Consult the website of the Canadian visa office serving the country or region where you live to determine if you need to fill out any additional forms or provide any additional documents.

Sign and date the application form, and be sure you include the receipt for the processing fee. Submit the application form to the Canadian visa office that serves the country or region where you live.

If you are from the United States, Saint-Pierre et Miquelon or Greenland, you can apply at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada.

Additional information or documents

After the visa office receives your application, the visa office might request more information or documents. These may include the following:

  • Medical information In most cases, you will need a medical examination. A visa officer will send you instructions if you need one. This may add more than three months to the processing time of your application. Find more information about medical examinations.
  • Security information If you want to study in Canada, you and any family members who come to Canada with you, and who are 18 years of age and over, may have to provide police certificates. Find more information about the security checks.

See (